In addition to these suggestions for keeping your pets safe around fireworks, there are a number of things you can try that can help lower your pet’s level of anxiety this 4th of July and during other stressful times. Check out these products & techniques for keeping your pets calm—some of them might be new to you.
1. Try calming supplements like:
- Happy Traveler
- Tranquil Tabs
- Tranquility Blend Drops
- we have used Drs. Foster & Smith Ultra-Calm Bites
- Rescue Remedy
2. pheromone products like D.A.P., Feliway, Pet-Ease, etc. and can come in sprays, diffusers, & collars
3. get an Anxiety Wrap or Thunder Shirt, both of which use pressure to calm your pup—Saffron has a Thunder Shirt and it really makes a difference in all kinds of stressful situations. We’ve also used a child’s t-shirt that fits our dog Saffron tightly.
4. cd from Through A Dog’s Ear—specially arranged music developed by psychoacoustic expert Joshua Leeds and veterinary neurologist Susan Wagner, which I know sounds awfully “woo-woo”, but you can find out more about psychoacoustic studies and the field of psychoacoustics. You can listen to samples. (via FullVetted)
6. see your veterinarian for anti-anxiety medication specifically for your pet