I love this little toot! He’s an orphaned Nubian goat and he’s got some stellar dance moves. I love those little flourishes he throws in.
- Lucy the dog could have ended up just being another dog that died on the streets of Puerto Rico after being hit by a car, but she was lucky. She was adopted by some wonderful people. With their help, a wheelchair, and conditioning similar to the conditioning marathon runners practice, Lucy became the first disabled dog to climb Mt. Washington in New Hampshire.
- Have you been hearing about the results of that AAA survey on the hazards of unrestained pets in cars? Turns out the survey is inacurate— the statistics and hazards are actually worse.
- In Alabama, the canine victim was present for the parole hearing of his attacker. Louis the dog still has the physical scars from being set on fire and beaten with a shovel by Juan Daniels who was denied parole.
- First there was a male goat and a female dog, who are best friends, wandering loose around a wedding chapel, then there was the threat of goat rustling charges, then add their friend Lucky, a tripod dog, and you’ve got one of the oddest rescue stories I’ve heard.
- In Washington, a dog swims after seals, a boy paddles after the dog, the boy rescues the dog, the seals swim after the boy and dog.
Dog Park Violence
- The man who repetedly stabbed a woman’s dog at Fort Funston in San Francisco has been identified and is expected to be arrested. Lenny the dog survived the attack, but lost his spleen.
- Keith Elgin Shepherd, the off-duty police officer who shot and killed Bear-Bear, a husky, at Quail Run Dog Park in Severn, Maryland was charged with two misdemeanors and that is only after public outcry. He claims he shot Bear-Bear with a hollow point bullet after the dog attacked his German Shepherd. His German Shepherd apparently received no injuries. Bear-Bear’s family & friends say he was not an aggressive dog and the woman who initially rescued and foster Bear-Bear agrees.
- Mary Bale, the wack-job woman caught on camera dumping a cat in a trash bin, is being investigated by the RSPCA and may face charges. The cat was trapped for 15 hours until her person heard her cries.
Cute! Here’s a Pet Tee project for that little someone in your life. (via CRAFT) Ellen over at The Long Thread has a great tutorial on how to make these custom pet tees with pics of your own pets. She tells you how to photoshop your images and what to do next. Pretty easy!
- digital images
- ink jet printer
- photoshop or image software
- iron-on image transfer paper (don’t use the opaque version or the color of the shirt won’t show through the image)
- cotton shirt
If you suspect your pet has gotten sick from it’s food or you think there’s something wrong with the food, be sure to file a report with the FDA. The FDA has instructions on the information to include and where to file the report. It’s okay if you don’t have all the info. listed, just include as much as you can.
If you transfer your pet food to bins or other containers, it’s important that you keep the packaging until all the food is eaten so you can provide information on the variety, point of manufacture, lot numbers, best-by dates, etc. I haven’t been good about this at all.
When you file a report, you’ll deal with your state’s Complaint Coordinator. Check the FDA list for each State’s contact information.
I think it’s also a good idea:
- to file a report with the manufacturer and let them know you’ve filed one with the FDA
- to get your veterinarian to file a report
- to be diligent about reporting concerns given how long it can take the FDA to respond
August was a crazy busy month for me, but things have gotten back to normal and
I’m looking forward to a more regular posting schedule.
Fall always puts me in the mood for DIY projects, so there will be DIY posts.
I have an interview with Nubs’ owner. You’ll remember Nubs is the dog whose
ears were cut off who was rescued by a Marine in Iraq? I also have a few
Hope you’ve all had a good summer!