All 3 recalls are due to possible aflatoxin contamination. Learn more about aflatoxin and aflatoxin toxicosis. Possible signs your pet has been affected include: lethargy, weakness, loss of appetite, vomiting, bloody diarrhea or black-tarry stool, yellow mucous membranes and possibly seizures.
Procter & Gamble is recalling Iams Proactive Health Smart Puppy dry dog food with “Use By” or Expiration Dates of February 5 or February 6, 2013.
- 7.0 lb bag, Code Date: 12784177I6, UPC Code: 1901402305
- 8.0 lb bag, Code Date: 12794177D2 or 12794177D3, UPC Code: 1901410208
- 17.5 lb bag, Code Date: 12794177K1 or 12794177K2, UPC Code: 1901401848
This follows what P&G described as a “product retrieval” (not a recall) of certain Iams dog AND cat food issued in November. Now it has escalated to a recall, but only of the dog food, even though the Code Date 12794177D3 is the same as the one associated with a cat food in the earlier “product retrieval”. (via PetsitUSA) The food safety microbiologist, Phyllis Entis, MSc., SM(NRCM), who writes the blog eFoodAlert questions why the cat food wasn’t also included in the recall.
For more information about product replacement or refund call P&G toll-free at (866) 908-1569 (Monday – Friday, 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM EST) or visit www.iams.com
Cargill Animal Nutrition is recalling:
- PROFESSIONAL FORMULA RIVER RUN HI-NRG 24-20 Dog Food, 50 pound bags
- RIVER RUN PROFESSIONAL FORMULA 27-18 Dog Food, 50 pound bags
- RIVER RUN 21% Protein Dog Food, 40 and 50 pound bags
- RIVER RUN Hi-Pro No-Soy Dog Food, 40 and 50 pound bags
- MARKSMAN DOG FOOD 24% Protein 20% Fat, 40 pound bags
- MARKSMAN DOG FOOD 20% Protein 10% Fat, 40 and 50 pound bags
- MARKSMAN DOG FOOD 28% Protein 18% Fat, 40 pound bags
All affected product were manufactured in Lecompte, Louisiana, between Dec. 1, 2010, and Dec. 1, 2011., and have a Packaging Date Code (lot number) of either:
- 4K0335 through 4K0365
- LL0335 through LL0365
- 4K1001 through 4K1335
- or LL1001 through LL1335
Check out pics of packaging of the affected products. Return product to place of purchase for a full refund. For more information visit www.cargill.com/feed/dog-food-recall or call toll free 855-460-1532.